Nobody injuries were reported after a gas explosion brought down part of a hotel in Lexington, Kentucky. Authorities say the blast was apparently triggered when a car hit a gas meter, starting a leak.
Lexington firefighters responded about 6:15 p.m. Sunday to an activated alarm at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott Lexington, 3050 Lakecrest Circle, Lexington, and discovered a gas leak. About 10 minutes after their arrival, there was a gas explosion. The 60-room hotel was 70 percent occupied when the explosion caused much of the building’s three floors to collapse.
Video shortly after the explosion showing a secondary collapse.
According to Lexington police, a car in the parking lot apparently lurched forward, hitting an above-ground gas meter connected to the Fairfield Inn. An older man driving the car accidentally hit the gas pedal instead of the brake.
Columbia Gas was on scene with police and firefighters late Sunday. Gas and electricity to the building were shut off.
See also …
Lexington Fire Department Facebook photostream …
Updated: Video from today of last night's explosion at a Lexington Fairfield Inn in Beaumont. http://t.co/mkV4uKP00f pic.twitter.com/PsJrMPKJJF
— heraldleader (@heraldleader) September 8, 2014
What Fairfield Inn looks like day after gas explosion. @JordanWKYT will have more soon. http://t.co/NUGPdaTp9F pic.twitter.com/atm9ddMGQ0
— Sean Moody (@SeanMoodyWKYT) September 8, 2014
Here are some photos from yesterday's explosion at a #Lexington hotel: http://t.co/sP03xHZvxo pic.twitter.com/OmpvFI5jC8
— LEX 18 News (@LEX18News) September 8, 2014