House Fire Caused by Cigarette Lighter Ignited Oxygen Mask; Caused Explosion of Oxygen Tank

Oxygen bottle explosion at a house fire.

Jackson County Fire District 5 firefighters responded about 5 a.m. Tuesday to the 200 block of Twin Circle in Phoenix, Oregon to a report of a house fire.

Upon arrival firefighters reported flames showing from a second floor window. While firefighters were leading out, an oxygen tank exploded and became a projectile that blew out a window frame and landed on a car windshield in front of the house.

The residents at the house were able to escape the fire before firefighters arrived. No injuries were reported.

The fire was extinguished in about 15 minutes and was contained to one bedroom.

A fire investigation determined that a cigarette lighter on a mattress accidentally ignited an oxygen mask that was connected to oxygen tank valve that was turned on.

See also …
Jackson County Fire District 5 —

View Larger Map

View Larger Map

Stay informed with news from’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to …

Police and Fire Radio Scanners.